- Newham, Greater London
- About the space
- Old Ford Lock on Fish Island
Tower Hamlets (Support indicated)
Project Verifier More information Verifiers are organisations that use their expertise to review project proposals on behalf of potential funders and the wider community. They help to ensure projects are viable before they start raising money.
Contractor More information The people or organisations responsible for building or installing the project.
E20 eastenders Fishing Trust (proposed)
We are a charitable organisation working with River & Canal Trust, the Environment agency and the Olympic Park Legacy Company to reintroduce fishing on the Lee River alongside the Olympic park.
The organisation is working for the Advancement of Amateur Sport:
•Promote Fishing in East London,
•Create new fishing facilities on the river Lee,
•Organise local fishing competitions and events.
The advancement of Environmental Protection & Improvement: Improve water quality and local environment to sustain and increase local fish stock and wildlife.
The advancement of Education: free fishing sessions for local pupils and people of all fishing abilities and from any age, social or cultural group.
The advancement of Health:
•Promote healthy living, outdoor activities
•Provide recreational activities for under privileged children
•Provide recreational activities for the wider community
We are working together to:
Create a fishing legacy for generation to come
Empower local people to be part of the Olympic legacy
Bring more people, of all abilities, to angling
Create a sense of community
Improve happiness and well being
What we'll do:
- Create a club house
- Create a Youth fishing Club with training coach, equipment to use, and regular supervised sessions
- Create fishing platform and wheelchair access
- Planting and landscaping at Old Ford Lock
- Fishing educational sessions for local pupils and local children
- Purchase boat for use by wheelchair users
- Repopulate the water with new fish stock
- maintain and clean waterways and footpath
- work with our partners to improve water quality, especially oxygen levels
Why it's a great idea:
The area was a well known spot for fishing but the Olympics have closed many areas to local anglers.
Fishing is the first participatory sport in the UK and many local people of all ages and abilities are currently unable to participate, especially if they do not have sufficient wealth to travel far and wide to good fishing grounds.
We are working hard to bring anglers back to the Lea River in Eastend, also hoping to inspire a new generation of anglers.
Angling has many social and health proven benefits and our inititiative will enhance quality of life in the East End.
How we'll get it done:
- Create a club house and Youth Fishing club open 7 days a week
- Create fiishing activities and fishing infrastructure
- Create access to fishing for all ages and all abilities
- Improve fish stocks and water quality
- Bring the local community to the waterways for sport, play, socialising and working
We need ntusiastic volunteers
Post a Message to EastEnd Fishing for All
Show your support! Got questions for E20 Eastenders Fishing Trust? Post them here and get an answer!