Turn back the tide: restore North Pond to its former glory. This historic 12th Century pond has become very overgrown. Let's unveil its beauty and preserve it for future generations to enjoy.
The North Pond is Bishop's Waltham's hidden gem. But it has suffered in recent years. The pond bed is very overgrown and the wetland plants that bring such great conservation value to the site are drying out. The area is popular amongst locals and visitors, and has been designated as a SINC (Site of Importance for Nature Conservation) for its wetland flora & fauna. It is known for its water birds such as coots, moorhens and mallards.
This project will redevelop the overgrown pond into an oasis of calm - benefiting local residents, visitors, and wildlife alike.
What we'll do:
- Remove trees and undergrowth to open up views.
- Create two viewing areas.
- Reinforce the wooded fringe with native trees and shrubs.
- Remove silt from the pond to help retain water.
- Provide information panels.
Why it's a great idea:
A local "town health check" survey found that restoring the pond is the town's top priority. With your generosity we can finally make it happen. The pond will provide a dazzling new setting, befitting of our beautiful town where locals and visitors can enjoy walking and relaxing.
The restoration project will also help the local environment to prosper, as the many species of fish and water birds that occupy the area will be able to move around freely without getting stranded in shallow areas thanks to the dredging work.
The North Pond’s existence dates back to the 12th Century, so in restoring it to its former glory, we will ensure that this unique historical treasure can be enjoyed for centuries to come.
How we'll get it done:
- Work party volunteer teams will help get the work done, and reduce the expenditure in the process.
- We will hire contractors to remove large trees and excavate silt.
- Install information boards provided by Portsmouth Water as an in-kind contribution.
- Complete the project by late summer 2012!
Post a Message to Revive North Pond
Show your support! Got questions for Alan Inder? Post them here and get an answer!
Follow this project ...
- South East England
- About the space
- Natural green area bordering Bishops Waltham town centre
Bishop's Waltham Parish Council (Support indicated)