£44,966 raised by 267 funders!
We made it happen!
Latest funders ...
St. John's shopping centre
RAAD Collective (Design in-kind)
Follow this project ...Tweets by @FlyoverLPL
- Liverpool, Merseyside
- About the space
- currently a flyover for vehicles & pedestrians
Liverpool City Council (Support indicated)
Delivery Manager More information The person or organisation responsible for ensuring that the project is delivered. They are in charge of receiving and spending funds raised.
Mark Bennett (confirmed)
Project Verifier More information Verifiers are organisations that use their expertise to review project proposals on behalf of potential funders and the wider community. They help to ensure projects are viable before they start raising money.
Contractor More information The people or organisations responsible for building or installing the project.
We want to turn a concrete flyover into an amazing urban park for Liverpool - a vibrant place full of life, trees, shops, exhibitions & joy. Help us bring our vision to life!
The Flyover is the ultimate in urban re-purposing & regeneration, delivered by citizens coming together to conceive, develop & implement.
We will take an existing structure and create an urban walkway/park that costs less its proposed demolition. Our vision will deliver a public space of benefit to residents & visitors, connecting neighbourhoods & civic buildings with the rest of the city & world famous waterfront.
Churchill Way is 2 roads & 2 pedestrian routes; current plans to redirect traffic mean there is a proposal to demolish the structure. We don't feel it's right to spend £3-4 million & see nothing in return, so we used our design talent to propose something different.
We've held a series of public presentations & been overwhelmed with the positive response from councillors, council staff, museums, businesses & people from all walks of life throughout the city.
Our next step is a full feasibility study and this is what we are raising funds for with this Spacehive project.
What we'll do:
- Turn a city centre concrete flyover network into an urban park
- Create a new way for pedestrians & cyclists to connect to the heritage quarter of the city and 'dwell' there
- Develop a programme of live cultural events in partnership with the many festivals & creative agencies in the city
- Work with the outreach & education team at National Museums Liverpool to animate the space & promote learning
- Provide spaces for small independent businesses to develop & trade
- Create a new Trust or CIC to manage the structure & maintain it
Why it's a great idea:
We've been overwhelmed by the speed & enthusiasm with which people & organisations including the council have responded to our proposals.
The Flyover will be a space for arts, music, dance & education events as well as markets, shops & community gardening projects & home to small independent businesses. It will reconnect residential communities in north Liverpool with the city & allow visitors to our heritage quarter to extend their stay in the area; walking along a unique public space towards the waterfront. It will also provide connectivity between 3 campuses of LJMU for staff & students with zones suitable for cyclists & pedestrians.
The flyover wraps around the rear of our Museum, Gallery & Library, effectively cutting them off from the north of the city - our proposal gives them the opportunity to engage with this public space; using it as an outdoor classroom & gallery.
It will be delivered & looked after by citizens who care about & are committed to the city & the project.
How we'll get it done:
- To do this we need to undertake a number of pieces of work and small projects - these are:
- Identify & explore business models which ensure the sustainability of the project, including capital & revenue plans
- Undertake further surveys to produce detailed designs including plans, visuals & models
- Work with partners including LJMU, National Museums Liverpool & Council on legal structure & any land transfer processes
- Continue to work with the council & their advisers to ensure our plans fit with the wider city transport strategy
- Develop a vision for events & animation with partners including National Museums Liverpool, Sound City & others
- Ensure that residents and citizens are part of the process of design, implementation & ongoing delivery of the project
- Create content about The Flyover for We Make Liverpool public event for International Festival of Business June 2014
The Flyover, is a highway gifted to the people.
By adding planting, kiosks, cafes, lighting & other infrastructure it will become a thriving oasis & green lung in the city centre, an iconic attraction for residents & visitors.
As visitors meander along the park, they will come across allotments tended by the local community including residents, students & school pupils, exhibitions, independent retail kiosks & stalls. Pedestrian routes, coupled with trim-trail equipment, offer a welcome space for residents & city workers to run & keep fit.
Just imagine yourself in this elevated park, having visited a farmers’ market, drinking freshly-made coffee & toast with a generous serving of honey produced by bees from hives within the park!
The Flyover has the potential to become a thriving promenade & meeting space within an important part of the city centre surrounded by our cultural museums & galleries.
With creative use of low cost materials, this great scheme won't cost the earth.
Post a Message to The Flyover Liverpool
Show your support! Got questions for friends of the flyover? Post them here and get an answer!