Converting a blighted Bristol roundabout into a 24/7 entertainment space where anyone from buskers to DJs, or poets to jugglers, can turn up and perform.
The Bearpit roundabout in Bristol town centre has a reputation for being a crime black spot. Our plans will see it transformed into a lively arts space - turning this no-go-area into a hive of arts and entertainment where passers by can stop and enjoy themselves. An impressive stage, together with an Eden Project-style domed canopy, will provide a platform for Bristol’s undiscovered talent to transform the Bearpit into a ‘magic roundabout’.
What we'll do:
- Construct the stage and seating area within the existing octagonal structure in one corner of the roundabout.
- Pour a 3 levelled concrete stage that can also be used as seating when the stage is empty.
- Fit speakers, control panels and lights into the existing walls of the roundabout.
- The equipment will be accessible for anyone to use, but also safely installed so that it cannot be removed.
- Erect a half-domed geodesic canopy over one third of the stage to amplify acoustic performances.
Why it's a great idea:
Bristol, even though it is known as a creative and lively city, is short of buskers due to strict regulations. This stage will offer the many fantastic musicians in Bristol somewhere to perform free of restriction, creating a more friendly atmosphere in the space. The stage can also be geared up for larger events so it can be used for one of Bristol's many city festivals, or to give local performance groups somewhere interesting - and free - to perform. The beauty of this idea is that it needs minimal supervision once finished - no one has to allow access to equipment - so it can truly belong to the community.
How we'll get it done:
- Buy our music equipment from Professional Music Technology Bristol.
- Install lighting from Utopian Lighting.
- Our canopy will be designed and installed by The Dome Company.
So we need your help. This stage will create a fantastic venue, not just for Bristol-based performers but touring artists as well. It will play host to everything from circus acts to performance art and music. Most importantly, Bristol will pave the way for community-led, free entertainment spaces across the country.
Check out our blog for updates : http://themagicroundaboutbristol.tumblr.com/
Post a Message to The Magic Roundabout
Show your support! Got questions for Emma Dyer? Post them here and get an answer!